Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A touch of color...

I like to use this effect on photos that have fun dramatic colors.

Ok, so I LOVE this first picture of Eric in the man-pyramid. I couldn't help but bring extra attention to those little red shorts. (Don't worry, I plan to scrapbook the full-color shot too...it would be a shame to let that beautiful blue sky go to waste.)

I think, rather than try and explain the method myself, I'll just re-direct you to a couple of sites that explain it far better than I can...
Taylormade Designs
Digital Photography Schools
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Not like I needed to draw any extra attention to their bright red hair, but I couldn't resist!

As a sidenote, there are actually several ways to accomplish this effect. In fact, I did it 2 different ways just in this post, and neither of them are the same methods used in the tutorial links provided. For the Ty and Tiff shot, I put a layer mask on the BW layer and just erased the areas where I wanted the color to show through. (Layer masks are probably the best option because they allow you to correct your mistakes...Maybe I'll do a later tutorial demonstrating what I mean). And for the pyramid shot, I started with the mask (demonstrated above), but ended up going back to the old-fashioned polygonal lasso tool. It took longer, but I needed it to be more precise (and I was having a hard time coloring (erasing) inside the lines. I would say 9x out of 10, however, that the mask is the better, more forgiving option.

No comments:

Post a Comment